Joe Behan - Independent Councillor - Wicklow County Council

Go to content

Main menu:

Who is entitled to vote?

Voter Information

Information taken from

Eligibility to Vote

In order to vote in an election or referendum in Ireland, you must be registered to vote. Being registered to vote means that you can participate in deciding who represents you at local government level, national government level and European government level.

The type of election you can vote in depends on your citizenship. The following people are eligible to vote:

  • Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
  • British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
  • Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections*
  • Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only

*If you are an EU citizen, other than an Irish or British citizen, and you were not registered to vote in previous European elections in Ireland, you must also complete a declaration, Form EP1, to guard against double voting in the election. The local council will register you to vote in your local constituency and send the information in your declaration to your home EU Member State. You can also get the form from your local authority.

To be eligible to be included on the Register of Electors, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February)
  • Have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.

You are eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the Register of Electors on or after the day on which you reach 18 years of age. You can be included if this birthday falls after the closing date for applications but is on or before polling day. If you are within this category, you should accompany your application with a copy of your birth certificate.

Students Living Away From Home

Students living away from home while attending college have the choice of being registered at either their home address or their student residential address. You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address.

Some students are eligible for a postal vote if they are unable to attend in person to vote on polling day. Information on Postal Voting and how to register for a postal vote is available by clicking here.

Temporarily Moving Away From Home

If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.

Serving the people of County Wicklow since 1985 |

Back to content | Back to main menu